Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Just another day at the Holm house

Gather round friends, I'm finally ready to tell my story. I only hope that I can do it justice.

The day began just like any other day, we woke up, we had a lovely breakfast & plans were under way to clean the wood burning stove. The three stooges (Dad, Mom & Nick) had came up with a brilliant plan. Dad would get on the roof and thread a sewer snake through the chimney down to the stove in the basement. Then Nick would attach the chimney brush to the snake & on the Generals command (aka my mother) Dad would then proceed to pull the line up, thus cleaning out the chimney. What they didn't expect to happen was that the soot that came loose from the chimney would fall down, not up (duh) & that's exactly what happened. All I remember after that was the General screaming STOP STOP, TELL HIM TO STOP. When I ran downstairs to see if everyone was alright, all I could hear was mom cussing dad who couldn't hear her anyway, he was on the roof. Things did simmer down for a minute and then the idiots decided to do it again, you know, get things real clean in there. So down went the sewer snake again, Nick hooked up the brush and once again waited for the signal. Not once but twice she gave the go ahead & not even five seconds after he started pulling it back up, she was hootin' and hollering to STOP that it was making a huge mess. Dad did stop long enough for mom to put a towel in the end of the chimney and then they finished pulling it through. You would think they learned their lesson but you know what they say - third times a charm so.......one last time they do it again.

At this point it was all a blur as my mom went completely ballistic!! She was crying & yelling obscenities at my dad. She was vacuuming & mopping & dusting all at the same time. Nick retreated to our room & I went down to see if I could help her but "physical" help was not what this woman needed. Meanwhile back at the ranch, Dad's on the front lawn cleaning some stuff up, minding his own business when mama bear comes barreling through the door with a huge bucket of black soot. First she tries to dump it on his head but he stops her, then as she walks back by him I'm yelling for him to move out of the way, she's coming through like a freight train & I'm afraid he's gonna get run over so once again he runs out of the way. I think he described her perfectly when he shook his head and said "DeAnn you are un-stable, UN-STABLE DeAnn".

Now remember Nick is back in the bedroom and he's been back there for at least half an hour. I went back to check on him & he said he wasn't sure if he was supposed to keep helping my dad but that he wasn't taking any chances. If you know what Nick has been up to lately, you would know that he isn't afraid of anybody but today was different. He said he had never seen anything like this before. Anyway, Nick wanted lunch but didn't dare go in the kitchen where mom was. I made lunch for us & as we were sitting on our bed I had a glorious idea come to me so I grabbed the camera and waited for my mom to come my way. This is where the R Rated Picture comes in. I'm unable to disclose exactly what she's saying but I think you can all figure it out & I have to say that never in my 24 years of life have I heard my sweet little innocent mother (ha ha) say the things she said that day. I shall never forget it, it's burned into my mind forever.

At the close of that exciting day, Dad got called for work. As he left, he refused to give her a hug and a kiss goodbye and Mom just couldn't believe it. In fact she was stunned by this gesture & acted like she had no idea why he would act that way. After returning home from work, Mom and Dad apologized to each other and they went back to their normal routine of driving each other nuts.

Even though there seems to be a lot of drama that goes on here, I really am greatful that we have a place to live. All the quirky things in our family that goes on is what makes them so gosh darn loveable. I wouldn't trade them for anything!!

8 comments:

Nat Lud said...

What a hottie! The soot is sexy! When are you going to dish on the 'disorderly conduct' story?

Crystal said...

I'm not sure if I can. Nick's pleading not guilty so maybe I'll dish at Bunco.

Anonymous said...

That was it.... That was the story. I guess I am just immune to that sorta thing being as I am related and your Dad is my Dad's brother. Nothing new when the Holm's are involved and our parents are OCD.

The Lawn Ranger's Woman said...

Loved the comment, Ashlie...100% true! I thought mom would look like the soot monster, but she looks more like a day of hauling wood. I, too, am waiting for the 'disorderly conduct' story :) But in the mean time, I'll be buying a surveillance system!

Melissa said...

I thought the story was pretty funny, and then I scrolled down to the picture of mom. HILARIOUS! I can picture the entire episode! I am laughing so hard I am crying!

Granny Annie said...

I have to comment on the catastrophy at the Holm house. "What a mess!"
I just have to take my daughters side.....could it be she inherited the clean thing from her mom??? (sorry!)
I must say she looks quite colorful and as she always dresses up for Halloween,this costume would take first place! Especially the knarly look on her face! Agree? (hehe!) I was thinking.... the next time I believe I have all the experience to be an asset to the Holm's Chiminey Cleaning Group. I will send my application and also my resume for the position of Foreman....I am sure my qualifications would be very impressive for the next time. We can discuss wages later.
There is never a dull moment at my daughters home. I am so proud of her! She runs a real home, keeping everything so beautifully clean and is a real expert at organization. I don't know of anyone who can keep up with her. I just love her so much and all of you (my family)! I have the best!
What more could I ask for.
Love you!
Mom and Grandma Annie

Rachel said...

I'm finally reading this story & trying not to laugh out loud since I'm at the library. I definitely think that Grandma Ann should be considered for Chimney Sweep Foreman. And what nice things for her to say about this whole catastrophe. I'm so glad I was far away when this all happened. :)

Josi said...

Note to self: Never get a wood burning stove.

If I don't listen: Never ask Nick and Crystal's parents to clean it for me.