Sunday, October 26, 2008

Annual Emma Crawford Coffin Races

Emma Crawford lived in Manitou Springs at the turn of the century, arriving with the hopes that the famous drinking Mineral Springs would help with a cure for her tuberculosis. Sadly, in the summer of 1890 Emma died quite young, just before she was to marry Mr. Hildebrand, an engineer on the Pikes Peak Cog Railway. Her wishes were to be laid to rest on top of Red Mountain. Her heartbroken fiancee and eleven other men began the arduous task her carrying Emma's coffin up to the top of Red Mountain. It took them all day, working two shifts to scale the 7200 foot Summit. After years of stormy weather on the granite mountain the granite gave way and Emma's remains were washed down the side of Red Mountain. Emma was later buried in the Manitou Springs Cemetery in an unmarked grave. An official grave site was granted to her in 2004 to honor her life. Now every year in late October, Manitou Springs remembers this beautiful young woman who loved her town and her Red Mountain with this unique festival.
Little did we know that this was a HUGE event! Take a look at the crowd in this picture, there were thousands of people. I waited all week for this and then we couldn't even see that well. Then Kendra wasn't even interested in the costumes or the parade, all she cared about was feeding some stupid dogs her cheeseburger.
Anyway - It was still pretty fun to watch plus we got one more use out of Kendra's costume. I love Halloween!!

8 comments:

The Lawn Ranger's Woman said...

Gee, and I thought Cedar was the Festival City. Kendra is a darling bumble bee, but where is our Nicky Poo? Couldn't he have dressed up or given us some more fabulous pictures :) We miss you guys!

Steph said...

Oh fun. I mean kinda sad, But fun festivities.

Rachel said...

Sorry you couldn't see better, but it looks fun anyway. And Kendra is a darling bumblebee. What a nice girl feeding the doggy her lunch. :)

Granny Annie said...

I think it is so fun to see how other parts of the country celebrate and what they celebrate. We miss back when Grandpa Swede, traveled around the country, and I could go visit him. Or we lived in other towns, for this reason. You are having some neat experiences!
And our little bumblebee is having her own kind of fun! Sooooo cute!

Erin said...

She always looks so cute. You have her dolled up in every picture, what an effort girls are. I hope I put in at least a little effort when I get a girl.

Nat Lud said...

Wow. What a reason to throw a party! Looks like a fun time. I love quirky things like that!

Kristin said...

Hi Crystal I know it's been a while since I've talked to you but I found your link through Lynettes. Your little girl is darling! She is one cute bumblebee! My blog is private but if you want in send me your email at haltermanfamily@Hotmail.com. Kristin

Crystal said...

what a cool story-a little creepy but sweet too!! I love small towns and the cool little qwuirky things they do!